I don't really understand this need to label someone as PG. There is way more to people than IQ test results: an IQ test measures a limited set of g-loaded abilities, and provides information that can be very useful for understanding a small subset of person's cognitive strengths and weaknesses. That's it. A person is not defined by a WISC-V or an SB5, and yes, I see people doing that, in spite of lip service to the contrary.

Unfortunately, I've seen a trend here to extend subtest results or GAIs or FSIQs to what could be called the whole child. My child is PG! IMO, this isn't a good idea. Defining a child with such a loaded term can create all kinds of secondary psychological effects in the child. A parent may contribute to them, especially by sending messages that tell the child, "you are incredibly different by virtue of a standardized test that took a couple hours to administer."

Kids with high IQs still have to learn to tie their shoes and change their socks and be polite and fit in and a thousand other things that aren't relevant to how quickly they can learn multiplication tables. My interpretation of many messages on this board (an on email lists I'm on) is that "PG" kids stand apart and must be treated as though they are just so different from other kids. Again IMO, this is a really bad idea that tends to isolate a child rather than help him see common ground with the rest of humanity, of whom he is a member.

My kids are very bright and I understand that getting a good education for them is difficult. I had the same problem myself until college. But, honestly, in an age of high stakes testing, this is a problem for everyone, regardless of IQ.

I'll add that in recent years I've begun to question the lengths that parents go to regarding gifted education. A decade-ish ago, multiple grade skips and homeschooling were generally seen as "least-worst options." I don't see that term as much as I used to here. Instead, I see radical acceleration being promoted as a generally wonderful thing with a bit of lip service about how ymmv, but it sure did work around here!! How much of this is a status thing? How much is a result of getting caught up in what others are doing? Is this a good idea? Does a PG! label based on a subtest, GAI, or FSIQ really help a child? Or is it better to use an IQ test as a single tool that helps identify areas of relative strength and weakness?

Last edited by Val; 09/08/16 10:49 AM.