Originally Posted by indigo
calling their child "profoundly gifted" when they've never been tested or when they've tested as average.
Possibly these parents believe it gives them more credibility, a louder voice?

inclusiveness can start off like a wonderful idea and end up sidelining the people a program was originally designed to benefit
and
I think that these forums will continue to draw a higher-IQ population than other "gifted" venues
The vibe of a forum changes based on participants. On one hand, it may be comfortable but ultimately unhelpful to have an insular bubble of agreeable yes-men, on the other hand parents may wish to be aware that some may be drawn to gifted forums in effort to cut down tall poppies and force equal outcomes for all.

I welcome any opportunity to safely (ie, semi anonymously) take the issue up with those people. They say anyone short of PG isn't really gifted, so there should be no accommodations. I say, well then, accommodate my kid and the others like them, and since you insist they're not just 12 months ahead, make the accommodations fit that. They say all gifted kids drop out of college anyway, and I can say yes, they do, ever wonder why that is? Because they have not ever in their lives been asked to do something difficult or uncomfortable. Why is a kid with a higher IQ worth less than any other kid? Why do they deserve to get thrown by the wayside when everyone else gets taught how to strive and fail, and strive and succeed?