I also have un-tested children, although I have documentation of HG+ for myself, and pretty good circumstantial evidence for my spouse. And, of course, I test for a living...but I do think that this forum benefits mainly those who belong here. (So if it benefits you, you belong.)

Another thought for contemplation: I think there is some value in taking a page from the other end of the bell curve, and combining measures of cognition with levels of need. On the left hand end of the curve, IQ is necessary but not sufficient (and the cutoff is somewhat flexible) for diagnosis. The other prong, in that case, is adaptive skills, with level of support the critical criterion. So an individual who scores rather low cognitively, yet is able to function independently in life without any modifications or accommodations, would not be considered intellectually impaired (it doesn't impair, you see). Perhaps we can consider levels of need in the right hand tail as well. Those way up in LOG require substantial modifications, to their education certainly, and often to other aspects of their lives, as well, to have their needs met. (Of course, when we throw in 2e, the level of support needed becomes quite a bit more complicated.) I know it's not a perfect parallel, but just something to think about.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...