Originally Posted by indigo
3yo... questions, peppered with observations about EVERYTHING, many of them insightful in the extreme, and a preference for older kids and adults. That's a "tell" for a gifted child. The parental exhaustion... tired and attempting to go under the radar of those around them, having learned that most of the world is completely out of step with their day to day reality. They are sometimes very lonely.
Agreed. At the age of three, most gifted children are not yet tested, and most parents would not seek the "credential" of a confirming IQ test score. For some parents the "secret handshake" for recognizing another parent of a giftie as a kindred spirit may change as the children age.

For us it is being the parent at the lighted playground at late hours of the night getting dirty looks for being a bad parent, but then what is the choice. If we do not wear her down she will not sleep. Or being the bad parent unable to child proof our home from the tool wielding 2 year old. We do supervise, because child proofing... well that doesn't work. Many times I fear myself the bad parent for the things I let her do, but... you don't know her.