Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
It shouldn't take being a PG hotshot to get a free ride at a state flagship-- but it often does mean just that now.

Careful there HowlerKarma, you just said a bad word in these circles with "state flagship" With what I read here often I'm lead to believe that the general mindset in these circles is that one has to go to an Ivy League school in order to get a good job, which, of course is silly, in fact, everyone I know with an advanced degree tells me, "To be honest, don't waste your money going to a big name school as an undergrad. Such schools devote very little time and attention to undergrads and you're likely to get a more personalized and better education as an undergrad at a state school or smaller college. The latest to tell me this is currently Harvard researcher with his Phd in Organic Chem.

I'm just asking people who frequent this forum to examine if indeed their child is going to get the most bang for their buck at a particular college and not to go into massive debt and especially not to start your child's adult life in massive debt, for a college pedigree that nobody will every know about once they're in the working world.

I built a home for the head of thoracic surgery at a very well respected state univ. hospital (was recently offered the same position at Johns Hopkins)He told me hardly anybody knows this but he didn't focus very well in college and couldn't get anyone to take him for medical school in the US, he eventually got accepted at a medical school in the Caribbean. Funny things is, nobody yet has asked to see his med. school diploma before he's opened them up for heart surgery.

I know numerous people with similar stories. You can get there from here without being in debt for the rest of your life in school loans or playing the "game" trying to get into big name schools.

Last edited by Old Dad; 04/01/14 05:51 AM.