Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
And this is where I happen to agree with Old Dad. Why should I subsidize someone else's 4y ClubMed vacation??

Of course, what I really wish is that rock-climbing facilities, campus dining sushi bars, and the like were something that I could choose to NOT partake of, whilst still obtaining the educational portion of the mission.

I agree, but would prefer that these things were simply not there. They're a distraction, both for the students and the university. Well-equipped athletic facilities are very important. A multi-million dollar horsey barn or a new stadium, not so much. The fifteenth new giant research building in as many years, not so much.

I know that last one must sound odd coming from a scientist, but IMO, we're shoving too many people into research and forcing them to submit too many applications for grants that almost certainly won't get funded (too many applicants), and spending a fortune in the process. All while not doing research (because those hapless researchers are spending so much time writing grant applications).

This problem, I suspect, is what Wren was referring to when she was saying that the US is falling behind. She was right, but for the wrong reasons. It's not because we don't spend money. It's because we spend it on the wrong things.