Collegiate athletics are often justified on the basis of driving alumni loyalty-- and donations.

I simply have to assume that this claim has SOME validity, though it's probably also somewhat dubious, and difficult to really evaluate. ETA: As in Bostonian's example above, for instance-- if one team has an "unexpected" win, guess what? Someone else has had an unexpected LOSS. (Yes, Captain Obvious, but my point is that we in the Pac 12 states are woefully familiar with this particular process, let's just say.) It's a wash, in the end. Other than the improvement in VISIBILITY, I mean.

Social media is probably a far more effective tool, honestly-- but then again, social media didn't exist 20 years ago when all of the new college athletics facilities capital campaigns really got rolling.

It's also true that a big name-brand athletic presence may drive applications. Then again, places without big name athletics seem to do okay there, too. When's the last time that the UChi or Reed went to the Rose Bowl, KWIM? wink

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 01/07/14 10:52 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.