One problem with that strategy is that all of the other smart people are trying to do it, too-- so everyone who CAN cut it winds up in the same five majors which are projected to have "high demand" in five year projections.

Only... everyone else did that too...

Well, you see my point. Even if you try to outsmart the employment market, you MAY wind up getting burned and only winding up with a degree and job skills in something you don't really even like, and can't find a good job in either.

I've encouraged my DD to get the broadest degree that she can-- but not in the arts or humanities. Well, not solely, anyway. It's fine if she wants to study psychology or history, but she needs to have a STEM major share top billing.

My preference is math or one of the physical sciences. They are (IME) more versatile ultimately than their engineering counterparts, even at the undergraduate level. Sure, starting salaries aren't as high, but thorough training in biochemisttry, for example, leaves you capable of being more than a tech, and of learning as you go.

They reward divergent thinking and curiosity more regularly, too-- as part of training, I mean. So that seems (to us) to be a far better fit for an HG+ person.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.