Originally Posted by JonLaw
If you can't pass engineering courses, you fail out.
Isn't that what happens in all courses? If not then I'm starting to understand.

Originally Posted by JonLaw
I think that a problem with engineering schools is that they teach anti-cooperation, which companies who hire them find unhelpful.
lol, Having gone through Engineering (though not in the U.S.) I think most of us had to cooperate at some point in order to survive. We figured that was part of their strategy - you either had to be an PG+ or be able to work with others (which meant you had to be smart enough to bring something to the trade).

Back to the main topic. I'm in Canada, I can't imagine paying the tuition rates that are paid in the States. It isn't free here but it is still possible for many without becoming insanely in debt. Entrance requirements are reasonably high out of high school. There are lots of scholarships available and most of the top of the class are going for free or close to it. Even full price it is a fraction of what you pay. Then again we don't have fancy foot ball stadiums and sports programs (although you don't really need much when you have 50 fans instead of 50,000).