Originally Posted by Old Dad
I don't think that the general public would stand for a floor for test scores as described, that's not politically correct in today's society and it's not viewed by the masses as "fair" There are always going to be special interest groups fighting anything where their special interest isn't proportionately represented even if their test scores are substantially lower than the established floor.

I agree with this and Old Dad's other post. Making tuition free (provided other "fees" are not raised to compensate) makes college a windfall for those attending, and groups will fight over how that windfall is divided.

Since high school achievement is correlated with IQ, and since
high-IQ children come from more affluent and educated families on average, it could be asked why those who have won the genetic lottery should be further favored by free high education.

(Two answers could be that
(1) free college tuition but selective admissions encourage working hard in high school
(2) free college tuition encourages the parents likely to have smart children to have more of them)

That's why I earlier proposed giving young adults a grant that could be used for higher education or to offset income and payroll taxes.