Originally Posted by Val
Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
I wish that more schools WOULD 'comp' students whose combined profile places them at "highly likely to graduate" because the pricing in the US is now at a point where a good many of those students are being forced to sign on to a life of basically debt servitude to ATTEND college.

Okay, so assuming that a college costs 50K annually...

Ouch! It's actually $60K these days at places like Harvey Mudd and MIT. However, something good may be starting. Has anyone else read about a small (but apparently growing) number of colleges that are slashing tuition costs? It's been in the news lately: tuition cuts at various colleges.

It's a national shame that we soak our young people and/or their parents for everything they've got and more while telling them it's all necessary in order to succeed. frown
My DD19 (sophomore) is at one of these smaller, less prestigious schools that is slashing tuition costs. We got a letter this fall that they lowering tuition next year. What they are really doing is "flattening" the fee structure. Currently almost every student has some sort of scholarship that makes the 'real' cost for school less. The amount of those scholarships will go down and fewer scholarships/grants will be given in the future. In reality the school won't be getting less, the cost will be more 'even' and transparent and they are hoping to attract more students to the school this way.

We haven't yet heard how much my daughters scholarship will be slashed but even if it goes down to zero, we will still be saving a little money on tuition. wink Cost of living (dorm/food) will probably still go up.