Originally Posted by Old Dad
Just to play devil's advocate, most here don't have a problem with student's "competing" for scholarships, however, they're basing that competition in their mind purely on academic merit. I'm sure that mindset would change depending on what else was thrown into the mix in that competition. The measure of success in college is rarely purely about academics. As I'd commented earlier, though in this particular circle competing for additional scholarships based purely on academic merit seems a logical thing to do, you're going to have a very difficult time convincing special interest groups of that.

Agree completely-- and I'm most appalled that the pool of "pure" merit $$ seems to be an ever-shrinking one, leaving students who are most ABLE (but rather boring, unremarkable otherwise... but-- please note, that also makes them rather more likely to FINISH school predictably as well) competing for an ever-shrinking pool of funds in the face of enormous costs that keep on going up and up.

frown

It shouldn't take being a PG hotshot to get a free ride at a state flagship-- but it often does mean just that now.

Last edited by HowlerKarma; 03/31/14 11:54 AM.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.