Originally Posted by indigo
Both are needed, but to supplant the classical with the vocational, terming career prep content as liberal arts is the concern.

Yes, exactly.

Originally Posted by indigo
In thinking deeply about the OP's article on free tuition at US public universities, when viewed from many perspectives we are left wondering what has spurred the rapid increase in tuition? Funding research? Shifting costs to some students in order to subsidize others? Paying out lifetime retirement benefits? The most effective answers to controlling costs of higher education may be in identifying the areas of cost growth, prior to considering how growing costs might be financed. As with gifted students, each institution may have a unique profile, and therefore a unique approach, rather than a one-size-fits-all policy.

The easy availability of student loans has been one driver you didn't mention. They raise the price because they can.

When I started college in the mid 1980s, they told us that tuition "didn't begin to cover the costs of your education." This problem was supposed to justify annual increases that were much greater than increases in the cost of living. Thirty years later, they're still saying the same thing. I stopped believing them a long time ago.

As a little thought experiment about costs, a full load of classes is usually 4 per semester. At, say, Harvard, tuition is almost $39,000 this year, which means that a student is paying almost $4,900 per class.* This is a pretty standard price at many private colleges. I find it hard to believe that it really costs more than $240,000 to run introductory biology or chemistry for 50 students. And any class not requiring a lab is going to cost even less.

*Yes, many students get financial aid, but loans are a big part of financial aid, and they go straight into the university's coffers. But even if we knock half of the big number I quoted, I still doubt that a college or university is really spending that much on a single class.

Last edited by Val; 01/06/14 12:08 PM. Reason: More detail added