Different folks want different experiences. But back to the original post - you can get free tuition if you are a good student, so the kids we discuss in this forum could get free tuition somewhere. There are public colleges that already offer this.

We'd assumed this, too-- the "free tuition" bit, I mean.

That's not as true as it used to be, however. I think I mentioned earlier that of the 4000 freshman students entering alongside my DD, just 60 of them will get full-tuition merit scholarships as in-state residents. Yes, my DD is certainly in the running for one of those-- of course-- but still, that is an awfully small number. NOBODY gets a "full ride" from them.

At the other state flagship in my own state, students like my DD are eligible for an automatic scholarship to the tune of 60% of tuition, and there is another lower tier that comps about 30%.

Yes, there are tuition DISCOUNTS for really terrific students-- but as far as I can tell this is a pretty hit-and-miss thing, and it can change on you almost overnight, depending upon what one's state legislature decides to do. Even five years ago, sending my DD to either of the institutions mentioned WOULD have been virtually free.

Now, that's only true if she were in an NCAA sport.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.