Originally Posted by polarbear
Happily, I hadn't seen your letter when I was posting - we were posting at the same time. I think it's a good letter - the one small thing I'd do differently (which is only me - I'm not a professional advocate *and* I am a scientist so writing letters is not my strong point! - so take my advice with a grain of salt!) - is to add an exact description of what your ds told you:

For example:

Dear Ms. Teacher,

DS told me that during Writer's Workshop ____ fill in the blank ___ happened. I would of course also like to hear your perspective on what happened to. I beleive you may have seen.... (leave rest of letter as is).

I really do think you put together a great letter smile

polarbear

ps - there are two reasons to restate what your ds told you - first, to be sure you and the teacher are talking about the same thing and that you understand what happened, but also that description stays with that email and you have it as a form of written record later if there are discussions with the school during the IEP eligibility process or 504 meetings or whatever where you need to refer to it. If you refer to something that happened without any kind of written record, it's often treated as something that never happened - in my school district.