HappilyMom, I'd let him stay home for the rest of the day (if he wants to) and I'd send an email to the teacher restating what your ds has told you, and then restating what you've already explained about dyspraxia and it's impact on handwriting and your ds. You can include whatever request you feel is appropriate for an accommodation - allowing him a break, discontinuing, working on alternative AT etc.

Do you have a firm date for your 504 meeting? Or are you waiting on the recent outside testing report before you have it? If this happens again and you don't have a firm date set for the 504 meeting, I'd seriously consider keeping him out of school until appropriate accommodations are in place. We did that for our dd who has medical issues and that was the *one* thing that motivated the school staff like crazy to get the 504 meeting set up and over with.

If you don't have a date yet, I would send an email to the principal, 504 coordinator, whoever else is on the "team" and request that a meeting be held within the next ten school days. Request a reply to your email within x amount of time also. Be nice, be brief, be clear, be firm.

Last thing - when you are at the 504 meeting or working with your ds' teacher on accommodations, I feel strongly that children in early elementary should not have to ask for their accommodations - the accommodations should be set up ahead of time so they are in place and just a part of the classroom situation for your child. Neither of my children who need accommodations were willing to ask for them in early elementary - they're young, teachers are seen as adults in power, they aren't fully aware always of *when* they need them before it's long past when they needed them, etc. Later on, when they're older, they'll be able to speak up for themselves - but not in first grade. Your ds did a *great* job of telling the teacher his hands hurt - but he shouldn't have been put in the position of having to tell her and having to request his AT. And when a teacher reacts as this teacher did, most kids will be less likely to speak up the next time.

Best wishes,

polarbear