Originally Posted by cym
This is a great dialogue. What an ugly expression "hothousing" for responsible and attentive parenting. Teachers are always complaining that the schools are being responsible for more and more "parenting" (social, emotional, sex-ed--from another thread, meals--we have free breakfast & lunch, afterschool care, school-based medical clinics, etc.) Oops, I forgot to mention basic academic education! There's hardly anything left up to the "adults" who make these babies. The teacher's issue is that how can they possibly attend to the specific or more specialized academic needs of kids? We're just doing what we should.

I just have to say that although, I also hear educators lament over the fact that they are expected to �do� so much more than teach, I have yet to see a teacher �do� any additional duty outside their classroom (without additional pay). There is certainly a large paid staff other than teachers that are responsible for all the extras such as social work, free breakfast and lunch, after care and discipline. This argument is a well used but weak explanation as to why teachers don�t provide an appropriately challenging education to every child.

At least this is the case in the "good" districts around here.

Last edited by delbows; 02/24/08 12:49 PM.