Kriston, I've been wondering the same thing. But I think it's like this: some kids need to be pushed to try things more than others. For instance, my son is reluctant to try something that he doesn't feel he has mastered (perfectionism.) I feel that it is important for him to experience the process of not knowing how to do something, working at it even if it doesn't come easily and finally achieving mastery. This is what really builds his self-confidence.

Here's an example of what I see with him: His K class doesn't require any writing beyond single letters and one's own name. I started requiring him to write one or two sentences a day at homework time. At first, he did not want to do it and I really had to sit there and help him with every word. Now, one week later, he wants to do it by himself, comes up with his own topics for writing and says things like, "I can write pretty well on my own, can't I!"

So, for him, I see it as good parenting to insist that he work at things that he thinks are "too hard" because otherwise he would just keep avoiding those things.

When I think of hothousing, I think of people showing word and number flashcards to infants or doing other developmentally inappropriate things. If I see that my son is developmentally ready to write sentences, why shouldn't I encourage him to do that--even if the school is not?

Why is it ok for parents of ND kids to encourage their development and not for parents of GT kids? It seems like a kind of double standard... I have heard teachers complain about parents of kids who are behind not spending time working with the kids. In DS' K class, the teacher even has some parents sign a contract that they will work with their child for 15 min/day on number recognition and the parents have to turn in a sheet with the days initialed. So why is it hothousing for me to work with DS on a Singapore math workbook for 15 min/day?

Last edited by Cathy A; 12/13/07 01:26 AM.