I'm with Trinity. Introducing things to your kids and then seeing what they do isn't hothousing. Finding something to keep them busy and out of your hair isn't hothousing...in fact, it might be the opposite of hothousing! smile (Certainly it's smart parenting!)

Saying, "You sit down right now and practice your phonics, young lady," when the child wants to do some scribbling or work on a puzzle or play tag is hothousing. The use of flashcards ala the Rick Moranis character in the movie "Parenthood" is the clearest portrayal of hothousing I know of.

The big difference, I think, is whether the effort and interest are child-directed (with parent help and support) or parent-directed (with participation from the child stemming from his/her desire to be rewarded or loved).

It sounds to me like your kids' reading was really more child-directed, Ania. You weren't forcing cooperation, and they loved the reading itself, not just the attention they got from you when they read. Hothoused kids don't LOVE what they do. They may feel compelled to do it, but there's no love for the task itself.

There's my two-cents' worth... smile

Kriston