I've been meaning to reply to this one for quite some time, but like so much else, didn't get around to it until now. So finally, I'm posting my public thank you to Grinity and to so many of you for educating me on how to better educate DS7.

When I first read this thread long ago, I was anti-hothousing. I did nothing, other than answer DS's many questions, which I suppose was hothousing in a way, as those answers took us to very advanced levels of whatever he was interested in (and there was a long string of interests). But this year, I realized that he hadn't learned anything new and that he is not at all challenged in school (although, to be fair, his reading, writing and attitude have improved - which is huge and our goal for the year). So I enrolled him in both math and language arts distance learning programs, originally just to keep his options open were he to return to private school (which we decided against, at least for now).

And it's working out. He complains a bit about the EPGY that it's boring (and it is), but it has helped his self-esteem and self-confidence. And Grinity's right, sometimes the GT kids aren't so obvious to the teachers when they're just looking at reading and writing. I loved the look on his teachers faces when I brought in the math he was doing at home. Of course, I realize we'll have a king-sized problem next year, but for now, it's the right thing to do. In fact, I think school gets in the way of his education. If he didn't have to spend all day in school, he'd be flying.

So thanks, Grinity, for recommending it. I never would have done the extra work with him, saying I'm not one of those parents, and I don't want to push him. It never occurred to me that it would be good for him, and that he'd even enjoy it. I also realize that to date almost everything he knows he's learned outside of school, and there's no reason to think that will change anytime soon.

PS- I know there's nothing he'd like better than being homeschooled. I'm just not that brave... yet.