Originally Posted by questions
So finally, I'm posting my public thank you to Grinity and to so many of you for educating me on how to better educate DS7.

When I first read this thread long ago, I was anti-hothousing. I did nothing, other than answer DS's many questions, ... But this year, I realized that he hadn't learned anything new and that he is not at all challenged in school

Thanks Questions. I'm so pleased that you didn't step in to the same pile of BS that I did - or that you were able to step out of it fast enough due to my encouragement. But the time I figured out the 'what was up' with DS11, too much was stacked against me being the one to give him the 'balanced push,' my word for afterschooling that isn't 100% child led.

I hope that next years problems shrink in size as your DS gets closer and closer to next year. The more of himself he gets to show, the less difficult it will be for all the caring adults to figure out some workable alternative. As for homeschooling, you can always do a trial run over the summer.

I have a dear friend who's homeschooled children are in HS and College now. I asked her once if she though I was in danger of quiting the 9-5 job and homeschooling. She said to me that the essence of homeschooling is when the parents take direct responsibility for the child's education, and the details of where the child learns are besides the point. She did say that she saw that in me. I felt honored.

I started the hothouse thread, not because I thought that any of us were in danger of engaging in educating our children for our own selfish needs, but because I knew that there must be others out there like myself, who lived in dread of being accused of hothousing, who, like me, allowed their natural curiousity about 'who is this kid and what do they need' to be blunted due to hopes that they wouldn't be accused of hothousing, or making their child 'different.'

I'm glad I started to look at it, because some interesting info shook out of it!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com