Originally Posted by st pauli girl
, Magic School House, ...The Hobbit ...moomintroll)

Giggles SPG! Can you imagine listening to MSH and The Hobbit in the same week? I can't! Three take home messages -
1) When one is ready to enjoy the Hobbit, it's hard to bother with Frog and Toad.
2) We are often the only ones who have a clue as to how advanced these kids are in certian ways - and we aim too low over and over and over again!
3) These kids have their own funny developmental path and we have to let them guide us, although we still have to maintain an independent perspective, re- video games, a push when needed, getting ideas from each other of 'what to try next.' You are in a very strange world, but if you stop comparining it to 'in my old school we were never allowed to visit the planets' (Magic School Bus reference) it's easier.

So - take him to the library, let him wander and fill up a bushel basket of books to have around. I suggest DK subject enclyclopedias, Dinotopia, Little house on the Praire, Magic School Bus, My father's Dragon, Mrs. Pigglewiggle, Phantom tollbooth, a book from the Oz series to sneak into the bag as well. Since you'll be reading to him, you can skip over really yucky parts if you wish. And do let him know that even when he is reading for himself, you will still read aloud to him.

BTW - loved those Moonintrolls!

Best Wishes,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com