Originally Posted by delbows
"I'm not going to 'hothouse', I'm jut going to let the kid watch all the TV he wants, play video games all he wants, and I might as well let him choose what he wants to eat(even if it's always candy), go to bed when he wants, after all, let him be a kid, right?"

Actually, I can’t decide between these two choices either!

Hahaha, I want to add in the detail that prompted me to write that. I think 'hothousing' has a negative connotation. But if a parent is not spending time nurturing & teaching a child, (which are things a parent would do while 'hothousing') then what are they doing? I have a friend who's stepgrandkids are allowed to run wild, watch TV or play video games all night because his stepdaughter basically runs wild. How sad is that, to see children with no good adult role model, no one to take them to museums, parks, zoos, or even teach them basic life skills?
I don't know the intelligence level of the children I just mentioned, but chances are these children will not graduate high school, and their mother will be one who badmouths parents who 'hothouse' their children. It's a crazy, mixed up world when parents who care for their childs physical, emotional, intellectual, and spiritual needs are made to think it is a bad thing.