Alee,
I'm not suprised that you find your situation puzzling! Raising a child with this kind of LOG puts you way way outside the know territory. You are on the part of the map lable 'Here be dragons' - no wonder you are unsure of your way!

If you are purchasing anything, you may want to try a 3rd grade curriculum - there is SOOO much repetition, just skip the parts he isn't ready for. I hope you have local homeschoolers as they often have tag sales where you can buy stuff cheap, or atleast try before you buy.

At age 5 I don't think that developing work ethic is an issue, so follow his joy, but don't worry about what level something is rated at - golly it's like a shoe size - totally not related to something real. As you get more experienced with him and with the role of homeschooling, you'll be better able to start developing that kind of learning that requires 'Character.' But by then you will know where his 'readiness level' is, so he can develop those good study habits with material that give him something back. Make sense?

If you are able, join the Davidson Young Scholar Program, as they have an active and helpful homeschooler list.

Best Wishes,
Grinty

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com