I have worked with my kids, more as our "quality time" together than anything. I have read to them endlessly (some books I didn't have to look at the words; they were committed to memory), and still do to my 6 and (less frequently) 9 yr olds.

I try to follow their lead. We have gone through obsessions with dinosaurs, fighter jets, board games, crafts/art, cooking, sewing, building things (gliders, trebuchets, etc.), robots, math, music...I can barely keep up. I go to the library and get every book out there, stores to buy supplies, set up areas to work,arrange lessons, transport, google internet resources and suppliers. We've done online courses (at their request), summer institutes, camps. I'm definitely too tired for anything but reacting to what they are interested in, especially these days. BUT, when they were preschool, I did buy them workbooks and we'd play alphabet bingo and count money, more for entertainment than forced drills.

My kids know I value knowledge and achievement and expect a lot from them. I worry that they are too stressed by our expectations, but it seems like people in this community are lazy and whine when they have a little homework. I don't want them to be influenced by their classmates who "blow off" studying for a test to go to the basketball game, or all talk about how they failed their math test.