Originally Posted by Katelyn'sM om
she would arch her back and scream so I couldnt do up the straps. That was so frustrating!

Okay this is to you oneisenough and to grinity. The above mentioning of arching their back made me think of my friend's babies and major acid reflux. Of course trying to strap a baby into the carseat does not mean it has anything to do with it, but did your babies arch their backs after feedings and if you put them down flat for a nap?

Hi Katelyn's Mom -
I know how curious I can be, so here goes:

When he arched to prevent me getting the harness on in the car, I have no idea how old he was, but I had never seen the behavior before or in any other circumstance. There we lots of body language and facial expressions that made it clear (to me) that he just didn't want to be in the carseat. Maybe I leaped to that conclusion since he cried in the carseat so constantly. At that age, no car toy would have mattered - we tried. Later the car was our friend, and he would fall asleep in it. We even had a baby monitor and an extention cord in the garage so that if he was sleeping after a car ride, I didn't have to move him and wake him up. I know that around age 2, he got a 'Leapfrog' Schoolbus with all the letters on the side, and it was a car toy that fasinated him for hours. He would press the 'B' button and the thing said: 'B' makes the 'Bu' sound.

One of his Daycare teachers pulled me aside to let me know that be could make all the sounds when she pointed to letters on an alphabet puzzle at school. She seem 'very impressed' - I felt highly embarrassed, as if caught. Beyond the feeling of embarrassment, I instantly blocked the whole thing with: 'Of course he can do that, he has that toy!' I will say that the next few years of non-reading felt scary - because outside of the words 'Start' and 'Exit' from the computer programs, he really didn't make any progress until first grade! It was weird, but even my one college friend who had raised gifted kids highly discouraged me from paying any attention to that 'gap.' Wish I could have come here and posted back then - perhaps we could have gotten involved with his vision issues earlier. At the very least I sure would have loved to hear that I wasn't crazy to be concerned!

Love and More Love,
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com