Originally Posted by Grinity
Plus there is the small possiblity that she is like you, and shy will come naturally to her. So you get to practice your social skills together - that's ok. She is clearly telling you that she doesn't like that one year old. Stop setting up playdates with them. Go to the library or the park or the museam or wherever kids her age might be and practice you 'pick up' lines. Think of it this way - when it come time for your daughter to choose a mate, do you want her to take 'whoever shows an interest in her' or do you want her to be skilled in 'making things happen' socially around her? It is never to late to learn to say hello, and strike up a conversation, and see if you might like those other people. If she finds a kid that she really likes, then you don't have to socialize with the other Mom, you can take turns having an hour off.

It sounds so easy doesn't it! smile It should be that easy and I do try so hard to be say hi and talk to other moms. I don't want my daughter to be anti social, so I fake it for her! I just can't stand small talk...it is so fake, but I guess that once you get to knwo someone then the small talk comes to an end. Dd starts a new dance class on thursday, so maybe there will be some parents there that I can "pick up" wink

I am sure she will be like me and be shy...I already see so many signs of it. But, I am hoping that she will like school regardless of that...like I did. Actually, I guess I wasn't shy in school, it is only since I became an adult...that's a weird realization!

anyways, I didn't think my original post would turn into a 3-page discussion, but it has been a good one. I think I know what to do...I need to help dd make a friend or two and I need to make a friend or two. Does that about sum it up? Oh and the idea of a "helper" is a great one, but would dd let me leave her with someone else...no way. Maybe if I did it gradually? Ya and this is the kid I want to drop off in a room full of other kids and some stranger adults. hmmmm not likely hey!

thank you all again. you are wonderful! I admire you all for being so honest here...it is so helpful!