Originally Posted by oneisenough
I read all of the posts about how hard and tressful the school years are for a lot of parents on this forum, but I still have hope that it won't be like that for dd. I know I live in a bubble (dh constantly tells me this!), but I just think it will be ok for dd. First off, I know she is a smart cookie, but I don't think she is anywhere near the level of most of the kids talked about here. Her verbal skills are excellent, and she has other skills that shine too, but think she could enjoy school in a fairly regular program (ie without acceleration etc). I don't know. Even in a different program, she can still be very happy, thus giving me my stress-free break right?! I guess what it comes down to, is that I don't really see her schooling being very different from the average kid...and when I look at the parents of the average kid, they are enjoying the time their kids are in school.

Onsie - wake up dear. I think you are dreaming. One 'advantage' of being shy and not socializing is that you don't get to see what ND is really like. So a side benifit of getting your self out there into the Mommy/babby world is that you will 'get orriented' - Believe me, I hope I'm wrong, and she loves every thing about school for the whole time, but the baby who cried through Mommy and Me class isn't going to suddenly become a social butterfly, ya' know?

Plus there is the small possiblity that she is like you, and shy will come naturally to her. So you get to practice your social skills together - that's ok. She is clearly telling you that she doesn't like that one year old. Stop setting up playdates with them. Go to the library or the park or the museam or wherever kids her age might be and practice you 'pick up' lines. Think of it this way - when it come time for your daughter to choose a mate, do you want her to take 'whoever shows an interest in her' or do you want her to be skilled in 'making things happen' socially around her? It is never to late to learn to say hello, and strike up a conversation, and see if you might like those other people. If she finds a kid that she really likes, then you don't have to socialize with the other Mom, you can take turns having an hour off.

I have to plug for my son's 'Other Mother' - on of the boys from daycare (around age 3) became friends with My DS, and I got to be friends with the Mom, and she has been able to provide things to my son that I would never be able to in a million years. At their house they build forts and campfires, eat differnt foods, play differnt games. When DS and I aren't getting along, he spends more time over there where someone remembers how precious he is. I taught her son to play chess, and always want to know what he's reading. I really, really, really can't imagine these last 10 years wtihout them in our lives. Another really wise friend tells her kids that they can learn to enjoy different sides of themselves with different people.

I know that I 'love new situations' and that not everyone is like this. DS and DH are 'slow to warm up' to anything that is new. But that's what is so great about being miserable, suddently parts of one that seemed 'not worth the trouble to develop' are looking pretty appealing.

I like the idea of the High School babysitter. Get one soon and go observe preschools and kindergarden, and then back to the gym or the university or the ball field. I love the idea of you playing soccer. Maybe the High Schooler and you and DD can all get out and play soon?

Wow!
Grinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com