We have had an incredibly difficult time getting anyone to understand what DD's issue is as well. She is hyperactive and impulsive at times (she actually BIT her brother the other day), so I'm pretty sure she has ADHD combined type, but the medication was not really speeding up her processing or fluency issues, or helping her to organize her thoughts to write, at least not to a normal level. I think that since she also has ADHD as well as EFD it improved her focus so that there looked like a slight improvement, but it was because she was focusing better on the task rather than having an actual improvement in processing. She had the WJ math fluency test on stimulants, and then a few months later, on guanfacine, which is a non-stimulant. Her score dropped from around the 50th percentile to the 25th percentile. So maybe she did process better on stimulants, but I feel that she was no where close to "normal" even on stimulants, and there were still large gaps between fluency and conceptual ability.

Thought this was interesting:
http://www.additudemag.com/adhd/article/7051-2.html

It talks about the differences between ADHD, EFD, and LD