Originally Posted by eco21268
Also: one teacher, at least, did NOT know what the 504 is and how it functions. Because they are all brand new teachers. I didn't hold that against him--poor training--but it has definitely effected my son negatively.

Because teachers weren't responding to weekly email, I coasted along for several weeks believing everything had leveled out. In fact, it seems like DS is having a medication issue (he changed meds and it went well for awhile, then he tanked w depressive symptoms) that needed intervention a long time ago...but since I didn't know, I didn't know. And we are unable to get "urgent" appt. with psych.

I think it's really a learning curve for me and the teachers. I need to quit being so *hurt* by everything and they need to quit being so defensive.

Yes. That they are new CAN be a good thing-- not yet set in ther ways. It does mean you have to treat them as professionals, while also helping them see what's within their purview as teachers. (includes: following the plan!)

Edited to add: this is also a teaching job for you. Persuading them to think again and know their obligations is a huge job... but it might not be totally unlike your old teaching job in certain ways...

DeeDee

Last edited by DeeDee; 04/26/15 06:31 AM.