Originally Posted by eco21268
I am so disenchanted with his "gifted program" right now my impulse is to pull him out and tell them they are hideous (having received a really nasty email today, again, from a teacher who went on and on about how he is talking excessively in class, in a very unprofessional manner--knowing that he is on cancellation list with psychiatrist and we are taking him for eval).

I hear you. Does the principal know about tha nastiness? My inclination would be to sit tight until you know from the neuropsych what you are dealing with, and then figure out what the best educational environment will be. But I would not wait on addressing the nastiness with the principal or supervisor. Every child should be treated with respect and care, even if they mess up. (Humans do mess up.)

But my son says that all of the ugly at his school is worth having friends who understand him and with whom he can use the words he uses and express the ideas he wants to express.

That's important. Any prospect of a better teacher next year? Can you ask the principal to take care with the teacher placement and find someone who will be accepting of your DS's quirks while helping you work to solve problems as a team?

If there weren't this huge threat they might not allow him back next year (they haven't explicitly stated that, but if he doesn't get a C or better in each class, it's the policy), I would feel less stress.

That's another reason to share the nasty email now-- if there is any prospect of this teacher grading him low to get rid of him, I'd want that paper trail established.

If my daughter weren't going there next year (with same core teachers), I'd also feel less stress.

Try to wait and see a bit. Things will get less murky, I think, once the neuropsych weighs in. That person can also bring their expertise to bear on crafting a school situation that works better.

Because I could not survive another year like this one.

I know what that feels like. My sympathies.

You'll find solutions... it just takes longer than it should.