Originally Posted by blackcat
We had in the 504 that the teachers were to make sure DD writes in her planner what the homework is, and they were supposed to initial it even if there was no homework. Well, they weren't doing this at all. It was like we signed the 504 and no one bothered to even read what they signed.

We had a change to 504 at semester that DS is to take a photo of daily assignments with his iPad. He doesn't have much homework, unless classwork isn't complete. 504 coordinator told teachers ADHD child will not process verbal instructions to "take it home if you're not finished."

That seemed like a good plan; however, he is only taking the photo in one class--math--where, ironically, just doing this seems to have changed his behavior and he is now completing nearly all assignments in class. That teacher checks student planners. The rest do not. smirk

So when I look at his 504, it doesn't actually say they need to check, just that he needs to record assignments. In this case, technically, they are not failing to implement. It's just poor verbiage. If he can't remember to write down assignments, he is unlikely to remember to photograph them.

There is also a 504 accommodation that he will have "peer assistance" with organizing. The teachers said this didn't work, so they stopped doing it. I'm not crazy about that accommodation, anyhow, so I didn't push it.

I think we need clearer instructions. The district standard is that all assignments are supposed to be posted weekly, online, but for some reason the gifted teachers aren't doing that yet. I hope they will next year--that would help enormously. The pattern so far has been DS will do very well for several weeks, I will grow complacent, and then there is a sudden plunge into incomplete work and poor grades. He's been wildly inconsistent.