Originally Posted by eco21268
He just told me I am going to be "getting a phone call" bc in science, they were cutting cardboard with Exacto knives and he "jokingly" held his up in a menacing gesture toward a classmate. I haven't received a call but what in the world do I say to that? A) I can't imagine a teacher allowing a bunch of unsupervised 12-year-olds to use Exacto knives but B) particularly my son who is impulsive and has identified behavioral issues (not like this, though, just usually talking too much, blurting out, and not turning in work). He said the administrator told him that "depending on how the phone call went," there may or may not be more disciplinary consequences. I don't even know what that means.

Argh.

Another thing to type into the search box at Wrightslaw: "Manifestation Determination." If an unwanted behavior comes as a result of a disability, there are some legal protections. It helps to know them in these situations.

We have often negotiated with our school to craft consequences that result in maximal learning for our child-- that is, not gratuitous punishment, but social learning through making mistakes.

The other thing is that while your DS may not have a "right" to be in this program, he cannot legally be excluded from the program on grounds of his disability alone.

This is an excellent resource... has come in handy for us many times. http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/letters/colleague-20071226.html

This document, from the US Department of Education, advises that:

Under Section 504 and Title II, a recipient may not utilize criteria or methods of administration that have the effect of subjecting qualified individuals with disabilities to discrimination on the basis of disability. 34 CFR 104.4(b)(4) and 28 CFR 35.130(b)(3). A public entity also may not impose or apply eligibility criteria that screen out or tend to screen out an individual with a disability or any class of individuals with disabilities from fully and equally enjoying any service, program, or activity, unless such criteria can be shown to be necessary for the provision of the service, program, or activity being offered. 28 CFR 35.130(b)(8).

That means if their standards are biased against people with disabilities, they are inappropriate and can be challenged.

Originally Posted by eco21268
There really isn't a great placement for him. I've considered putting him in our assigned school but his academic skills are advanced. It's the behaviors that are the issue. It's like he is an 8-year-old socially/emotionally but he talks like a (smart) 18-year-old and in adult company, he seems perfectly well-adjusted, if precocious.

That's... "normal 2E" in our experience. I know it's hard. Try to treasure him in his complexity, while easing his interface with the world where possible. The problems are not with him, they're with the interface.

Hang in there!