My daughter will be taking HS Algebra in 7th this year. Her grades were very high in the accelerated Pre-algebra in sixth. Her main problem is organization. I don't think this is her age; it is her personality.

She got a letter about her class and if she does not make a high grade, she will be out of the class. I want this to be her responsibility. However, we are going to work on organizing. She has never had this many teachers.

I do not want to accelerate her to another grade level. However, our school district does accommodate accelerated classes. She will be taking a few online and correspondence, but will be a seventh grader anyway.

You can try the class and if she is struggling too much, put her back. I teach math and personally don't believe too much in pushing students into Algebra until they are mentally ready. There is a developmental process that changes around 13. I feel that Algebra is a very important class and if they do not really understand it, will struggle in higher math.

Having said that, we have a very low district and that is why I am accelerating her. She is very good at math and loves it.