I need some help. We are a military family that has recently retired. My 12 year old daughter has been tested in 5 different school districts and been identified as Gifted and Talented in all of them. Some have great programs for GT, some have good programs for GT, and some school systems have no GT program at all. Now we are retired and in Northern Virginia for the next 6 years at least, hopefully more.

Here's my problem: The last school system didn't have a GT program. So, they took my 6th grade daughter and placed her in advanced 7th grade math (pre-algebra). This year, the school system has an "in school pull out" program once a week called "Signet" but they don't want to place my daughter in Algebra, because Algebra is 8th grade math! So, I'm frustrated. Her grades in 7th grade AP math were so-so (81% for the year), but she passed pre-Algebra and should be moving into Algebra. The school administrators are saying that she has to take 7th grade pre-Algebra and point to her medicore grades to justify their decision. She's GT and will be bored stiff if she retakes this math class.

Here's my question: As parents and other associated with GT, do you agree with the school's decision? If so, why do you agree?

If you don't agree, can you please provide me some solid points to make with the school superintendent (whom I suspect will back the school's position) other than "She's already taken pre-Algebra." It seems like a simple and logical arguement to me; that if a student transferring in has already passed a class they move on to the next level; but something isn't clicking with the school administrators and I want to act in my daughter's best interests.

Please advise.