Originally Posted by Dandy
[/quote]

But as for the second part, how exactly are we parenting in ways that are not authentic and comfortable? I've never considered the authenticity of anyone here to be in question.

It is a pretty common theme voiced on forums like this by parents of gifted kids. Feeling like they can't be themselves, feeling like they can't enjoy their kids, feeling like they need to put their kids down, etc.

When I was growing up (in clustered, self-contained GT throughout school), my parents didn't have any difficulties with peer support, because all the other parents they knew were in the same proverbial boat.

That's great. It has been my observation that even just within the PG community folks are in totally different boats because kids needs vary so much depending on drive, personality, disabilities, family resources, etc.

I don't believe friends all have to be in the same boat to support each other or find support.

Discussing milestones is perfectly normal and is every parents way of knowing/confirming that a.) their kid is not a weirdo, or b.) their kid is progressing just fine....

I would assume most of us now realize how really limiting it it is to try to understand the range of child development by what we see expressed by 15 kids at playgroup. Understanding even just the bare minimum about child development points out why this is a bad idea and can lead to a lot of confusion and misunderstandings.

must get out the door, more later...