Originally Posted by martini43
Here's my problem: The last school system didn't have a GT program. So, they took my 6th grade daughter and placed her in advanced 7th grade math (pre-algebra). This year, the school system has an "in school pull out" program once a week called "Signet" but they don't want to place my daughter in Algebra, because Algebra is 8th grade math! So, I'm frustrated. Her grades in 7th grade AP math were so-so (81% for the year), but she passed pre-Algebra and should be moving into Algebra. The school administrators are saying that she has to take 7th grade pre-Algebra and point to her medicore grades to justify their decision.

A couple of questions you might pose to the district:

1) Is the 7th grade math they would put her in comparable to an AP level pre-Algebra?

If the class is not comparable (slower paced, less breadth or depth) then you might point out that it's problematic to base the decision on her previous score, since that score represents her handling of more complex/difficult material.

2) Is there a minimum acheivement score that their seventh graders need to earn in order to advance (as 8th graders)to algebra? In other words, if she finished this year with an 81% in their 7th grade class, would that prevent her from taking algebra as an 8th grader. If not, you can raise the question as to why they are concerned about her ability to keep up with the class.

3) You might ask whether their policy would have been the same if the previous school had grade accelerated her rather than subject accelerated her. Would they require that she repeat her 7th grade year?

4) You might ask whether or not the district has an end of the year test for 7th grade math. If so, you could request that your DD be allowed to take the test and that the results be used to determine whether or not there are weaknesses evident across the 7th grade math curriculum, or only in 1-2 targeted areas (in which case a quick remediative approach could be taken).

How does your DD feel about all of this? Did she finish last year feeling confident that she was ready to go on to the next level in math, or is she feeling shaky about it?

Sorry to hear that you're starting off having to struggle with your new district. I hope the situation resolves quickly--and positively. Good luck!