There seems to me, to be two main themes here 1- yes, consideration of others, but secondly, just a frustration that this rule applies to us, more than others. I see FB as a typical example. Nobody blinks an eye - and in fact it is quite lovely to learn about the successes of my friends children in baseball, dance recitals and swimming. These successes are not simply earned by hard work, but also due to innate ability. The rules change though, when we talk about academic achievements. To assume that the success of our children is just due to their I.Q., in academic challenges, chess etc. is doing them an injustice, and would never be accepted in other fields. In fact, this lack of appreciation may somewhat account, in part, for the high drop-out rate of gifted children.
Remembering school, both my brother and myself went to great lengths to hide our intelligence. I certainly do not condone full on bragging by anyone, but kids pick up more than we expect, and an absence of discussion about things that they have worked for, just because a certain level of I.Q. is also required for the field, is to me, a frustrating double- standard in this society.