Re: bragging. I see b0th sides of the discussion. I like talking about my kids, but I know I have to be very careful about what to talk about and how to talk about it. If we are not careful, innocent conversation can be regarded as borderline bragging. Plus I have heard parents brag abuot their kids and it is indeed uncomfortable for the listeners. But on the other hand, every parent has the right to feel proud for their kids and it's weird if parents can celebrate their kids' achievement only if it is not extraordinary. In the end I think each one of us will figure out the right balance and the right group of people to talk about such things. I generally don't talk about my kids being amazing even to close friends, but I would tell them what my kids are doing these days if the occasion is right: what they are reading, whether DS got medals/trophies in recent competitions, trouble with teachers, messy rooms... In a lot of situations it is possible to talk about issues without being too specific. For example I have talked about DS9's trouble in the classroom with many parents without having to tell anyone how advanced DS is. Just saying that the problems stem from him being advanced and bored seems to be sufficient for most parents to understand our issues. This way I get to hear other families' experience without seeming to brag.

Re: milestones. I think there are pros and cons to pay too much attention to them. In some cases, picking up signs early will help parents to prepare for their kids' special needs (on either side of the spectrum). On the other hand, if you don't know, you don't worry. smile We never paid much attention to milestones with DS because he was clearly very smart and we didn't suspect that he was slow in anything. We just went along with what he demanded: if he wanted to do math we found math material; if he wanted to read history we checked out history books for himl; if he wanted to discuss solar system we discussed with him... Granted, it was a huge surprise to us when he entered K and we realized how advanced he was. But before K, we were free of stress.

We paid more attention to milestones with DD, because she was much slower on lots of things. But through this we also learned that the milestones really are only a guideline, not golden rules. DD4 staretd talking much later than DS9, but now she is much more articulate than DS when he was 4, and her imagination when she makes up stories is simply amazing. DD started crawling and walking very late compared with kids of the same age, but she started running as soon as she started walking and is now an amazingly athletic kid (she outruns all the 5yo girls in her preschool and in sports lessons she is generally better than the 5yos there as well). She started out late, but now that we watch her, we think she is just as talented/gifted as her older brother.