Originally Posted by Wren
Your baby sounds wonderful and you should be here. It is hard when you cannot talk to your friends, because their kids may not be doing the same and that makes them uncomfortable.

You have an amazing child but this is only the beginning. Many here experienced skipping grades, still being bored and maybe not doing as well, or giving ourselves as many options as a result. One of the things you find here, is that we want to optimize our child's options by feeding their curiousity and enthusiasm to learn -- which starts now. That curious 6m wants to know, wants to learn. Some of us just didn't get that. Knew our children acted a little different, were ahead of the milestones but just didn't get how different they were.

There will be some -- few who will give you the comments that your child is really smart, or amazing or whatever, but not the majority. Someone else wrote about how HG+ children are like special needs children. Think of it that way. They have a special need. If they had any other kind of special need you would start immediately to support that need.

Good luck.

Ren

Thanks! Yes, I think if it wouldn't have been for my pediatrician's comments I probably would've figured that DD was ahead but I wouldn't have thought of it being as unusual as it is. However, I'm glad I do have some heads up because like you said we really do want to encourage her interest in the world around her and not let that enthusiasm die out.

Yes, and I can understand the special needs comment. I went to school for awhile with a boy who was most likely HG+. He was also 2E (had autism) but regardless of that he learned in entirely different way than the rest of us and his mom ended up having to homeschool him because of that.