Originally Posted by alli-cat10
However, people ask "so what is she doing now." I guess it is just a conversation starter. At 1 she could recite the alphabet. I was not going to lie. So I answered honestly. She knows the alphabet she is sight reading a little. Not bragging, just being honest. The next time I saw the person with a sarcastic tone she says so is she done with War and Peace yet? So an honest answer to a question asked of me about my child was taken as bragging because of what my child was doing.

I'm wondering in hindsight do you see ways to answer that question honestly without bragging or being ashamed?

To me it is lot like if someone asked "so what's your husband been up to lately?" and you replied "he's making a quarter of a million dollars now and is fluent in German." Yes, that's honest but "he's still enjoying his job and he's playing golf in any free moment he can get" is also honest and far less likely to make people think you are obnoxious.

It is revealing to me when the options are being presented as 1. talk about milestones and be honest about your kids or 2. don't talk about milestones and be a liar who is ashamed of her kids. There really is another alternative.