Originally Posted by Irena
Thanks HK. I am going to put this ("ALWAYS permitted to accompany my DS on field trips as an Aide for my child") in my son's iep. I can't believe it has taken me this long. .

Thanks from me, as well. I am also going to try to put it into my son's 504 plan. I think the school may push back, as I tried to get it in already without really pushing it, and they ignored me, and put something else about field trips, but I personally would feel better about the situation if I was there. I saw earlier this year just how fast anaphylaxis can happen for my son, and I'm not sure the chaperones would get it. Also, Irene's story about the epi not being there scares me to death as the last time my son had anaphylaxis he was eating something that "should" have been safe, but wasn't.

I have been lucky enough to chaperone the field trips this year, and know how chaotic they can be, especially when the children are eating. Maybe if I make it clear that they don't have to count me as a chaperone, that would help. I think they don't want to be in the position of telling the teacher that they HAVE to make me a chaperone. (Even though, well, the teachers HAVE made me a chaperone, in every instance they can, for both children this year. smile

Last edited by momoftwins; 06/07/14 07:02 PM.