As sort of an aside, I have an experience to share. I chaperoned my son's school trip to the zoo recently. First time I ever chaperoned. But it was an unnerving experience. So, the teacher gets the kids' epi-pens from the nurse's office on the trips and is suppose to give it to the mom who is in charge of my son's small group. Teacher forgot. She emailed me over two hours into the trip that she had forgotten to give me DS's epi-pen and if we wanted to meet up somewhere we could get it to me. But even though I have an iPhone, I wasn't checking my email on it because I was trying not to lose kids. smile And, of course, I had an epi-pen b/c I always have one in my purse and DS was wearing his epi-pen in his epi-belt in which he carries other allergy meds. I always put his epi-pen belt on him for field trips b/c I am afraid of this sort of thing - I am afraid the epi-pen will be too far if something were to happen, I am afraid the chaperones won't believe/know he is having a reaction, etc. Now what if I had not been chaperoning? The group leader of my son's group would have had no epi-pen. Fortunately, like I said, I put my son's epi-belt on him for these things. But I am still unnerved because my son has never given himself the pen (I have always given it to him during reactions). Also, the reactions are scary I imagine him actually stopping while having a reaction and just being left by his group. He just had a reaction in January in the supermarket and it was so bad so fast and he was going into shock so it was hard for him to think straight. I don't know. How can I make the school field trips safer? There is a child with diabetes and his father goes on every trip - maybe I should start doing the same (you gave to be "picked" to chaperone but I could insist on going due to the disability like he does I think). I don't know made me nervous. Would like to hear HK's thoughts and others with allergic kids on this. Examples of things to put in his iep/504 to help with this?

Last edited by Irena; 06/07/14 09:25 AM. Reason: "hear" not "here" LOL