I, too, respectfully must disagree-- the addition of a second E-- and believe me, this one is a DOOZY since you have people who lack any real understanding of the nature of the disability, paired with demonstrations of the disability being life-threatening-- well, this makes finding appropriate educational opportunity for HG+ children with food allergies nearly impossible.

So we can talk about dysgraphia or ADD... but... not medical diagnoses that lead to a 2e status?

frown That seems rather arbitrary, I must say.

I must also say that it's been inherently "related" to gifted education options, in our experience. This is the reason why summer institutes like THINK have been completely off limits to my child. This is a real condition and it has real impact on gifted children who already have pretty sharply different needs from their peers. Add in additional needs that dovetail with gifted ones, and the challenges rise exponentially, just as they do for anyone else with a 2e child.

THIS is the reason why my child cannot live in a dorm setting for college, as if only being 15 at the time wouldn't be reason enough, I mean... but it also means incredible sacrifices if she were to attend an elite institution-- we WOULD have to set up a household so that she could be a commuting student who "lives at home" with my DH or myself or both of us.

It is also flatly incredible to me what College Board put us through to get accommodations for testing, what public schools have been willing to put us through for quite basic accommodations, and absolutely ASTONISHING in the extreme how accommodating and understanding our local flagship university has been by comparison with that. Blows my mind in a HUGE way to think that my school district thought that my five year old "needed to learn to live in the real world" whereas the university seems to think that those SAME accommodations are completely reasonable and minimal for eighteen year olds.

I'd ask you to reconsider, Mark.

There IS no place to discuss 2e issues, as often as not. Disability communities are not generally places to discuss the kinds of problems that HG+ children have with educational settings.

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.