Irena, I am sorry to hear that other parents and teachers are so unsupportive of your child with the allergy. Our daycare is nut-free, and although we love PB and nuts, we have never minded that restriction. For us, it is same as you - we would never want to be in a situation where we would knowingly put another child's life at risk.

I hear of parents that are so callous about a child's potentially life-threatening allergies, and I really don't understand it. It is definitely not going to kill my children if they have to refrain from some foods during the day.

It may be simply because my mother made it clear when we were little that it is not a right that we can eat whatever we want whenever - one of my sisters' friends had serious allergy to milk and another had so many food restrictions for medical reasons (apparently an older sibling of that child either died or came close to dying hence they discovered the same medical conditions in the younger siblings) and my mother made attempts to ensure if they were at our house that they would be able to eat with everyone else, even if it meant some of our favorites were unavailable.

I even remember her going out to buy new dishes and pots and making sure to get the menu approved when they had invited a few local friends for dinner and she found out they followed a kosher diet. It is not same as allergies, but it did really hit home that just because I love certain foods and combinations does not mean I should assume that my enjoyment of those foods trumps everything else - be it medical reasons or cultural reasons.

I still really don't understand why it is so hard to respect the fact that there are fatal allergies and just refrain for few hours.