Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
But this leads me to another really important point about people like my DD. They can't win with others, and it isolates them horribly.

They have two choices--

a. accept exclusion gracefully, placidly, and serenely-- with perfect poise and manners, in which case others will use it against you as a reason TO exclude you (OH, it's okay to hold the meeting at the {allergen-laced} restaurant {that DD can't even go into}-- she said she doesn't mind! smirk or--

b. Show that it gets your goat-- be sulky, or sad when people are selfish or mean or petty about it. OH, well, then in that case, it's an example of emotional immaturity.

Yes. This. This begins in KINDERGARTEN (or earlier), and they are expected to be happy and smile and say that it doesn't matter (even if it does.)

Teachers try to tell me my son is immature because he won't accept food from them unless they have spoken to me. But he knows in the past he has been given "unsafe" food by people who should have known better, so really, it's not immature. His LIFE is at stake, and he knows it - that's not immaturity.

Last edited by momoftwins; 06/06/14 08:41 PM.