Originally Posted by blackcat
There do seem to be a lot parents that "cry wolf" or make a big deal out of allergies that are not actually severe, and that takes away from the actual life-threatening cases that should be taken seriously. It's probably hard for the school to sort out which allergies they should be worried about, and which they shouldn't be worried about. Maybe the parents are actually worried that the allergy will cause a severe reaction, and are just being over-protective, rather than it being an attention-getting maneuver. But in cases where a child HAS had a severe reaction already, it should be obvious to everyone.

I probably shouldn't post a fly-by like this (I'm in a hurry, haven't read the full list of replies, and don't have time to fully explain myself) but here goes - just one thing I want to put out there at the moment - I'm the mom of a child with severe multiple food allergies who's experienced anaphylaxis and putting her in school, dealing with the allergies in school, dealing with school staff etc - I can't in a million years imagine that there is a statistically significant # of parents out there who are "crying wolf" over allergies. If a parent says there child is allergic, believe them. If the school has identified a child as having a food allergy, trust that schools require *intense* documentation and proof of that allergy from medical drs (at least our school district does). Maybe you'll run across one or two families who are exaggerating but the risk of thinking that a parent is crying wolf just isn't worth it!

Also, one tiny point here too - a child doesn't have to have had a previous anaphylactic reaction to be in danger of having one in the future - really it *could* happen to anyone - with or without a history of food allergy - but for a child who's been confirmed as having food allergies, please don't assume that they aren't at risk of a severe anaphylactic reaction just because they haven't already experience anaphylaxis.

OK - I realize that some people will read this and think I sound like a crazy lunatic parent crying wolf... so I will step back off my soapbox for now smile And blackcat, please know I wasn't picking on you or e-shouting at you if it sounds like that - I wasn't! I respect you totally smile Just wanted to put out a thought from another food-allergy mom smile

I'll return later to read the full thread. Thanks for posting the link OP.

polarbear