I am not sure about parents "exaggerating" their child's food allergy. I have never experienced that but I "hear about" it a lot 2nd-hand from resentful non-allergic parents. You may see it that way, but you have no way of knowing people are exaggerating unless they admit it, and it is very likely not the case. The problem is the allergy can worsen with each reaction. When my son was first exposed to peanuts he got excema, Later he threw up and became congested, the next time his face all swelled and he got hives as well as congestion. The last few times he filled with thick mucus and his throat closed. While he is not allergic (yet) to the smell he gets extremely anxious when he smells peanuts b/c he has almost died - more than once now. For most of us, each time the reaction gets worse and worse and doctors warn of this. In my experience, non-allergic parents have this huge tendency to "exaggerate" how limited they are that they can't bring in "ANYTHING" to eat b/c "everyone" has an allergy. I find that not to be the case at all. Usually it's just my kid banned to a table by himself b/c it's so inconvenient for kids to go 6 hours without peanut butter. Occasionally, there is one or two other kids from a total of 5 other classes. I just have never encountered these 'extreme' cases where every kid has an allergy and the poor non-allergic kids have "nothing" to eat. And I have two children in the public school system - one who is fatally food allergic and one who is not. MANY parents do not respect my fatally allergic child. The school does lunch bunches and class lunch with the principal and each year, without fail now, several parents send in peanut butter anyway (even though they were asked not to because there is a fatal allergy... So who gets banned from lunch? The children who were asked to refrain from peanut butter this one day? No. My kid does. I have people say the nasty things right to my face about it too.

Last edited by Irena; 06/06/14 11:57 AM.