Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
People (like my DD) who have a history of very severe, very RAPID anaphylaxis, very low eliciting doses, and/or very unusual presentations (cardiovascular symptoms without cutaneous ones, for example) may make their risk of fatal outcomes unspeakably high. So yeah-- we are VERY aggressive about avoidance, because "treatment" doesn't seem so promising in her case in particular. "Recognition" that we're dealing with anaphylaxis (and not another illness, not just anxiety, etc.) is not even all that good in our situation in particular.

I really appreciate this.
My son had an anaphylactic reaction to cashews in our house at age 5. We'd known about his dairy allergy since he was 3 months. Thankfully we had Epi-pens. We saw no hives, no skin symptoms, and were on the way to the ER just to hang out & just in case when I had to inject him with the Epi. I'm so grateful I practiced with the trainer.

His allergies are why we started homeschooling and why we continued through some rough times.

I'm not comfortable with him getting on a plane (don't know how safe it would be) and so that's also why we don't look at going out to Reno for the meet-ups.

I absolutely think food allergies are of huge import to gifted support and also ask that the thread not be locked.

He's about to do a week's day classes at a local university through Duke TiP. I'll be sending his lunch in and worrying about his health daily. If it weren't for the allergies, he could do overnight camps.

And we had an issue where I was buying shampoo last week and one of the ingredients was nut oil. Didn't buy that one.
I also hated when milk soap was out and about a lot as well when he was really little.