Originally Posted by ashley
In my son's PS last year, they had a million cupcakes (it seems like that to me), chocolate chip cookies, Disney movies (teacher had a Netflix account for the classroom, I kid you not), the first day welcome package from teacher containing candy, valentine's candy, halloween candy, rice krispies, marshmallows, oreos, candy cane, gingerbread houses (I am sure I missed half the fun stuff). I know all this because my DS does not eat sugary stuff - he just shoves it all in his backpack and brings it home. And the people with allergies got juice boxes, I was told.

Buying that junk food is expensive, and sorting it into individual portions with decorations is time-consuming. I'm just imagining how what was probably a few thousand dollars siphoned into "food" could have instead been spent on books for the classroom, a computer or two, or equipment for funky labs. Imagine if instead of being head of the party planning committee, the teacher built in fascinating enrichment opportunities and paid some extra one-on-one attention to the children. Not eating also doesn't mean the teacher doesn't have to be celebratory.

I always remember thinking as a child that when the cupcakes came out on a birthday, the rest of the day would be a waste of my time. I wonder how many other GT students felt the same way.

What is to give light must endure burning.